Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Photojournalism


This week's theme at I Heart Faces is a little bit different. For this challenge, they've defined photojournalism as using an image (or images) to tell a story.

I've spent a lot of time going though picture after picture trying to decide which one to enter. I finally decided on a photo that is not a recent one. In fact it is one I took with my first 35mm camera. I don't expect it to be chosen because, well, it was taken by a 12 year old who knew nothing other than that she loved to take pictures. It's also a little battered and had to be scanned into my computer by my less than stellar scanner/printer.

twin towers

I have always loved photography. As a kid, my dad was an enthusiast and I caught the bug from him. I received my first camera in second grade (it had Smurfs on it!) and after using that to death, was given my first "real" camera in fifth grade. It was a Canon Sure Shot with a remote and I loved it. I especially loved using the remote to sneak pictures when people least expected it. lol I used that camera for almost 16 years until I got my first digital point and shoot (also Canon!) when I was pregnant with Anakin. I actually still have the 35mm and it's still in perfect working order. :)

Growing up I always had my camera with me and I have hundreds of pictures in boxes from field trips and parties and school days. I'm amazed I didn't send my parents to the poor house from developing all that film but because of my obsession, I have tons of pics of things that I'm so thankful I have.

I took this picture the summer after sixth grade when my Girl Scout troop went to New York for a week. We spent a couple of days in New York City seeing the sights. I have many pictures from that trip and plenty of the famous New York skyline, all featuring the towers, but this has always been my favorite shot. I love the crowd of people, especially the older lady in the corner. I love how it was a very overcast day and how the towers seem to fade into the sky.

15 comments:

Jean Marie August 31, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

Don't you love pictures from when you were young? I do!! :) The lady on the far bottom left .... completely captures your gaze. And the towers, of course.

Great shot!

B and B August 31, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

It's almost surreal to see the twin towers standing. I love how they fade up into the sky in this picture. Very well done.

Unknown August 31, 2010 at 6:16 PM  

Now that is very, very good. Perfect picture for this weeks theme. Wow.

P.S. the hair makes me laugh : )

Dawn August 31, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

nice! love this photo! very sad but what a treasure to keep!

Mommy to Tyler & Kendall August 31, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

I just love the sky and the towers on this. What a wonderful thing you have here!

Valerie August 31, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

It's like the towers are radiating light. Great picture.

Amelia August 31, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Truly a beautiful shot.

Courtney August 31, 2010 at 7:37 PM  

Such a touching image --- Thanks for sharing!!

Shannon Gray August 31, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Amazing image!! So crazy how the WTCs are fading at the top...Love the hair as well ;)

Unknown August 31, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

Beautiful, beautiful photo. There's so much to stop and think about looking at it.

Love it.

Mandy H. August 31, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

As a military wife and american citizen, I have to say this photo speaks volumes!! Thank you for sharing

Mandee

Unknown August 31, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

This photo DOES speak volumes. Amazing entry, and so very thought provoking. Great job.

Kristen Mintz August 31, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

I grew up in New Jersey, and we went to the city quite often. I have a photo very much like this that my mom took of us when we were around 12! I definitely cherish those photos- yours is awesome!!!!! Great eye for a 12 year old! :)

Rachel September 1, 2010 at 1:23 AM  

How, very surreal. Great shot... wouldn't it be amazing to win on something you took long ago? :)

Cindy Knull September 1, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

Wonderful wonderful image. It haunts me and stirs me and makes me feel a host of emotions. Thanks for sharing. : )

About Me

My photo
I'm a SAHM that loves photography. My kids are my main models but they're on to me and have started running in the opposite direction of me and my camera. Well, all but the youngest. She's a ham. To compensate I take pictures of just about everything else from flowers and bugs, to landscapes and anything else that will sit still. And I share it all here because I might as well do something with it. :)

OWP badge
ShutterLoveTopTen

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP