Monday, August 24, 2009

Wrapped in Love


This week it was easy for me to decide what I wanted to use to complete the I Heart Faces challenge of creating a nostalgic picture. I knew immediately that I wanted to use the quilt my grandmother made for my dad. For years it laid unfinished in the bottom drawer of my dad's dresser and as a little girl I would pull it out, lay it across my lap to study all the patches and listen to my dad tell the story of each one.

This patch was from the year my grandmother sewed all 11(surviving) kids matching outfits in a red bandanna type material. This patch was from her favorite church dress; this one from an old apron. There was no pattern to how they were laid out, but it was beautiful to me.

My grandmother had actually made one for each of her children and there were a couple of others besides my dad's that didn't get finished before she passed away. Finally, my aunt finished them for everyone and it was returned to my dad who passed it down to me when I was 18.

With those memories, I took the quilt and my two youngest outside and used it to photograph them. The picture I chose in the end wasn't even my favorite at first. But after editing, it became "The One".

wrapped in love

22 comments:

Jenny August 24, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

That is awesome! Beautiful quilt and children.

Tricia Nugen August 24, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

Great photo!

Anonymous August 24, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

Great photo, I can almost smell the downey smell from the quilt :)

Amanda August 24, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

aw, that is so sweet! what a great picture to keep for them!

Unknown August 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM  

Absolutely beautiful!!

The Animator's Wife August 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM  

LOVE, love, love that story. Even kinda teary-eyed! And the shot and cuddly-ness and editing are all just lovely too.

Jan August 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM  

Beautiful picture!! Love the story, as I have a similar one. :) Just great!!!

Hayley August 25, 2009 at 2:11 AM  

Such a beautiful story and LOVE the photo ~ beautiful editing!

Jessica Marie August 25, 2009 at 3:56 AM  

Beautiful photo and such a beautiful quilt! "Wrapped in Love" is such a great title for your post on this one! :)

Mariana August 25, 2009 at 10:03 AM  

My FAVORITE!! :) I love it!

Ally August 25, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

what a sweet capture! Love it

Kimberly Petty August 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

aww thats so sweet. I used to have one of those quilts too. no story behind it but it sure was comfy:-) Very nice photo!

Mandi August 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

What a great story and a beautiful photo. Awesome processing!

Emily Dobson Photography August 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

Perfect entry with a wonderful story!

Shannon August 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

VERY SWEET! What a treasure for you to have!

Unknown August 25, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

Beautiful story and beautiful picture! Your kiddos look so sweet =)

Emily August 25, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

I so love quilts...there always seems to be a story and when there's not, it always has enough character all its own. Your little girl is too sweet...I love how she is cuddling up so close to brother. Both...so precious.

Lezlie August 25, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

What a precious, gorgeous picture. I love it...

Montserrat August 25, 2009 at 10:26 PM  

Quilts show so much love! I love the ones my grandmother made for me when I was married. This picture is beautiful!

Nicolemiko August 25, 2009 at 11:56 PM  

Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman. What a special way to remember her life.
I adore quilts and the ones that tell stories are the best ones. :)

What a sweet moment captured.

Unknown August 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

I dont think I could love this post or picture any more! What a sweet, beautiful entry! :-)

Jenny August 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

Beautiful picture and even more beautiful story. Reminds me a lot of one of my favorite children's books "The Keeping Quilt" by Patricia Polacco. If you haven't already, you should read it to your kids!

About Me

My photo
I'm a SAHM that loves photography. My kids are my main models but they're on to me and have started running in the opposite direction of me and my camera. Well, all but the youngest. She's a ham. To compensate I take pictures of just about everything else from flowers and bugs, to landscapes and anything else that will sit still. And I share it all here because I might as well do something with it. :)

OWP badge
ShutterLoveTopTen

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP